Through its small but focused Social Action group, our church supports several important non-profit organizations in the local community. Here's how we do it.
- Perhaps our most intensive work is with our social workers and their caseloads of foster children in the Los Angeles Department of Children and Family Services Adopt a Child Abuse Caseworker program. For the children, we provide birthday and holiday gifts and, when possible, organize a holiday party for them and their families; we also respond to emergency requests from individual families for items such as furniture, food, school supplies and Thanksgiving baskets, and we help out at the various events held for the children through DCFS, such as a Halloween party, getting the graduating girls ready for their Prom experience, and others.
- Each week during the service, we collect food for the Food Pantry at St. Elisabeth Catholic Church in Van Nuys and clothing for The Catalyst Foundation.
- Second Sunday Collection: On the second Sunday of each month, our collection goes to a local non-profit organization or group that has been suggested by a church member who is affiliated with or has strong knowledge of that organization; we have contributed an average of $7,800 a year over the last four years.
- We support the work of the Unitarian Universalist Service Committee financially through their annual Guest at Your Table program, and advocate for the rights of children in California through their Promise the Children project.
- We organize special collections at times of natural disaster, such as Hurricane Katrina.
- We are collaborating to launch the Green Sanctuary program, a multi-faceted sustainability project that builds awareness of the significance and complexity of environmental issues and sets commitments for a more sustainable life, both individually and as a church community.
We are always delighted to welcome those who are interested in working on the social justice activities of the church. We meet at 11:30am on the 1st Sunday of each month in the conference room next to the church office. For more information, please speak with Theresa Journeau-Collins (chair), Carol Holland, Barbara Jampel, Christine Levine, Donna Mae Pitluck or Gil Shorr.